- Given at least once a year, during any visit.
- Identifies patients who warrant a full screen.
- Primary care: paper or electronic form completed in waiting area, or via patient portal online.
- Emergency department: administered through verbal interview by nurse during triage.
- One question screens for unhealthy alcohol use and one question screens for recreational or drug use.
- Given to patients who answer positive on the brief screen.
- Primary care: given by the medical assistant via paper form or verbal interview in the exam room, or completed electronically in the waiting area or patient portal.
- Emergency department: administered by the behavioral health professional via paper form or verbal interview, before discharge.
- The AUDIT is a full screen that assesses severity of alcohol use; the DAST is a full screen that assesses severity of recreational drug use.
- The medical provider or behavioral health specialist scores the full screen in the exam room, or before discharge in the emergency department.
- Brief interventions that employ principles of motivational interviewing are delivered to patients with unhealthy alcohol or drug use.
- Referrals to specialized treatment are facilitated with patients likely experiencing a substance use disorder and ready to accept treatment.